240 volt generator to power house and pc

darksky 23:52 29 Aug 2006

I have purchased a 240 volt generator for use in the event of a power failure, the instructions suggest that computers would need a "conditioned power supply".
Question: Would a standard UPS be sufficient?

woodchip 23:54 29 Aug 2006

Yes As long as all power goes through the battery

Forum Editor 23:56 29 Aug 2006

to connect this generator to your wiring system?

woodchip 23:56 29 Aug 2006

PS do not try running you washing machine on it. I blew mine up, good job it was under warranty at the time! he said he had never seen anything like it. I just kept mum. It did the timer in

darksky 23:59 29 Aug 2006

thanks Woodchip but how do I know if all power goes though the battery?

woodchip 00:00 30 Aug 2006

I connected with a short three core wire with plug on each end but it should be put into the house socket first or you will have live pins on the plug Also no one should pull the plug out while the genny is running

DieSse 00:13 30 Aug 2006

A standard UPS does not condition the power supply, as the power does not go through the battery. It goes staight past the battery, until such times as the mains fails, when the battery is "kicked in" very quickly to supply the backup power.

Even a Line-Interactive UPS doesn't fit the bill, only an On-Line would do the job properly. This takes incoming power and has it's own inverter which produces a proper clean sine wave output.

The problem is, that depending on the power actually supplied, you might be getting a modified sine - wave supply - which can be very unlike mains power, and in extremis might play hell with the computer switching-mode power supply.

As a first step, I would get the generator suppliers to tell you, or even show you, what the power output waveform looks like. You may find on-line UPSs are expensive - and your computer may even run OK anyway (but is it worth risking?)

DieSse 00:16 30 Aug 2006

A few prices to digest (from a US site, but you can google around for UK suppliers) click here

Forum Editor 00:21 30 Aug 2006

Connecting a generator to a household wiring system without first installing mechanical and electrical interlocks could result in 240 volts being back-fed into the incoming supply cable, and the risk to any electrician working on the supply side wiring would be enormous - potentially fatal.

DieSse 00:25 30 Aug 2006

Here's a UK supplier you could call click here

PS - some Line-Interactive UPSs are misdescribed as On-Line - they are not - they still pass power straight through, but switch to battery on more bad power conditios than a normal Off-Line UPS.

woodchip 00:27 30 Aug 2006

That's why I switch the Power supply off in the cellar. Isolate it from the mains at the consumer supply box

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires