22" or 24" monitor?

lightfeet 21:43 10 Aug 2009

My 19” monitor has given up the ghost & since my computer is 7½ years old I’ve decided to splash out & get a new system. I am undecided whether to opt for a 22” or 24” monitor & am wondering if the 24“ one is too big, particularly as one sits so close to the screen when on the computer. Amongst other things I shall be doing photo & video editing. Also any recommendation on make/model would be appreciated

citadel 22:03 10 Aug 2009

I have a 22" monitor and find it just right. there are a lot of cheap ones now but its worth getting a better quality one.

woodchip 22:17 10 Aug 2009

The Bigger the Screen, the less likely you are to sit up close to it

GaT7 22:20 10 Aug 2009

24" without doubt! I sit about 30" away from mine & it's fine.

If you require a professional standard monitor though (for accurate colours & good viewing angles) it may be best to get a 22" screen to keep costs down. An e-IPS* based Dell 2209WA click here would be recommended. Possibly cheapest & best place to buy it from is PCBuyIt click here for just over £200 delivered. A similar 24" screen costs ~£425 click here.

Another thing to consider is whether you might prefer a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio screen - the former is 'more widescreen' than the latter. G

* You can read about the various panel technologies at TFTCentral click here.

retep888 22:22 10 Aug 2009

That depends on what you'd do with your PC,the bigger the monitor the more thing you can pack in(you can see).

If you're a gamer and have a decent gx card, the bigger the better.

woodchip 22:23 10 Aug 2009

The Bigger the Screen, the less likely you are to sit up close to it.

Hears a Good One. Would like this myself.
click here

Check Details by Scrolling down, it’s a tilt and swivel monitor so you can change from Landscape to Portrait view

Lightfeet1 11:32 11 Aug 2009

Many thanks for all your help. Certainly provided much food for thought. Am investigating the Dell route.

Si_L 11:40 11 Aug 2009

I have a 22inch for gaming and that is easily big enough. Like it has been pointed out, if you sit close to the monitor then you won't need a huge one.

sunnystaines 11:43 11 Aug 2009

recently got a samsung 24" recommended by forum members, well impressed shop around as great difference in price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?