2007 Vs 2003 access

geewis357 21:00 05 Oct 2008

Hi guys,
Is it possable to have both 2003 and 2005 access installed at the same time, if how is it done. I upgraded to 2007 office a while ago but now I have been asked to do a project for a friend and the sight of acces 2007 frightens me, give me 03 any day but if poss I would like to have them both.

VoG II 21:11 05 Oct 2008

With any Office application Microsoft recommend (a) that you do not do this and (b) if you must, install the earlier version first then the later version.

Good luck - any version of Access frightens me :o)

geewis357 21:29 05 Oct 2008

Thanks vog,
But when does microsoft have our best intrests at heart, I could handle office 2003 ok, Thats what we used at uni 2007 is someting else. I may be asking your advice over some exell isues later on this week as I remember you are a bit of a god in this department.

geewis357 21:30 05 Oct 2008

Thanks vog,
But when does microsoft have our best intrests at heart, I could handle office 2003 ok, Thats what we used at uni 2007 is someting else. I may be asking your advice over some exell isues later on this week as I remember you are a bit of a god in this department.

Picklefactory 08:14 06 Oct 2008

We had '97 and 2007 on our machines simultaneously at work for an interim period when we upgraded, without any major issue. Only nuisance I experienced, was that when you used older version then ran newer one after, Office would go through a sort of mini-install routine for a couple of minutes (Setting defaults and things I think).
Also, not sure if it affects 2003, but certainly with 97, if you have any dBases that are set to read only in older version, Access 2007 will not be able to open them for the first time unless they are NOT read only. It gives a warning that 1st opening of older version mustn't be in read only.

skeletal 10:27 06 Oct 2008

Yes you can use both Access 2007 and 2003 on the same computer, it is what I do. Before this I used to have 2000 and 2003 at the same time. I’ve not tried all three versions together though!

Picking up the comments of VoG™ and Picklefactory:

You must install the earlier version of Office first and when you install the newer version make sure (somewhere in the installation procedures, I’ve forgotten where) you select the option NOT to upgrade, but to install.
For Word and Access (but not Excel or PowerPoint), every time you switch versions, there is this peculiar, mini setup routine which takes a minute or two and is a pain!
When working in the newer version, if you want to subsequently use the earlier version, run in/save as “compatibility” mode; i.e. your files will be in a format that can be read by earlier versions (this is true of all of Office).
Some data types are new to Access 2007. There is a really stupid one (IMO!) that allows a “general” field so you can be lazy in how you enter data. I’m really struggling to remember the details, because it is so anti what you would do when designing a database I dismissed from my mind! Point is, that if you use such things, you will have problems going back to earlier versions.
If you include code behind the db (which is the thing that REALLY give Access is phenomenal power) you may have to update the references in the VBA development area if you use objects from the new version (i.e. make sure the Office 12 Object library is selected). Again, there will be a problem if you use Office 12 objects on a machine that only has Office 11(12 = Office 2007, 11 = 2003).

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?