20 pin Power Supply - 24 pin Motherboard connector

s99Raj 19:01 15 May 2005

I have the "normal" Power Supply with 20 pins plus a 4 pin plug which also goes onto the motherboard (Asus A8VE Deluxe). However, the m/b has a 24 pin socket. So far the 20 pin plug fits leaving 4 holes free, and I've also fitted the separate 4 pin plug onto the m/b and the PC fires up OK.

What I'd like to know is which of these options below is the best/safest?

1 Stick with what I've got, i.e. use the 20 pin plug on the 24 hole socket along with thhe separate 4 pin plug on a different part of the m/b.

2 Buy an adaptor.

3 Buy a new PSU with 24 pins.

bremner 19:07 15 May 2005

I believe the connections are universal and are used by most new mobos. That way manufacturers need only buy one type of connector keeping costs down.

The additional 4 pins are only used on certain particularly motherboards - the MSI K8T Master Far2 for example - it needs all 24 pins and a suitable PSU because it is a dual CPU board.

s99Raj 19:17 15 May 2005

So I should just stick with the connections I've made with the 20 pin type of power supply?

bremner 19:21 15 May 2005

Yes - on the boards I have seen there is often a sticker over the extra 4 pins saying 'remove only if required'.

On the MSI board I mentioned above it failed to work until I changed the PSU - if yours is working OK then it clearly does not require power to the additional four pins

clayton 19:24 15 May 2005

On my Asus a8n-sli mobo i fit the 20 pin connector to the 24 pin socket & the 4 pin power supply to a different connector.

s99Raj 19:38 15 May 2005

Thanks for that - the Asus m/b I bought has no such sticker about the 4 extra pins but since it has a further 4 pin socket a few inches away (I'm sure you know the type i mean) I've plugged the PSU into that too. And, like you say, since everything SEEMS to be working I may as well leave it as it is.

What are these 4 extra pins for anyway? Dual CPUs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone