2 x PC CROSSOVER PROBLEM

Bertie B 18:08 17 Apr 2004

Networking & I do not get along! I have connected two fairly new PC's [both running XP Home] via a crossover cable. I have run Network Wizard on both - first on the one with the ADSL Modem attached [my PC]and then on the other [my daughter's PC] that connects to internet via the LAN . The only hiccup is when running the wizard on my daughter's PC - as it goes thro the display of "flying VDU's" i get an error message - viz "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close" - this happens everytime - it seems not to hinder the network wizard which finishes it's process nonetheless! My daughters PC connects to the net OK over the LAN. On my PC under Network Places HOMENET is shown and both PC names appear - click on the name of my PC and then "Properties" and details are displayed - but click on my daughter's PC and then properties and it says the server coould not be found on the network. On my daughter's PC - click on Network Places and there is no sign of HOMENET or the two PC's!!! WHATEVER I DO - I'M DAMNED!! ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE?

Smiler 18:18 17 Apr 2004

Check the firewall so that each can access the other.

Bertie B 18:53 17 Apr 2004

Thanks for your help! I suddenly twigged that it might be the firewall as Norton is on both PC's. Once I ran the Networking Wizard in Norton on both PC's then it all worked great!

Thanks again!

Bertie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017