2 thermal pads on laptop GPU

FTL 12:07 06 Jan 2011

Hi,

Recently my laptop started playing up and the graphics card was at fault (x1400)

Was working fine then 1 day nice colourful lines and a distorted screen.

Anyway did a bit of digging aroung and found out the card hadnt dies because if i pushed hard on the heatsink assmbley and turned on it ran fine - so it was due to a heating problem.

Now its alwats had the stock thermal pads that came wth the laptop nearly 5 years ago now so wht it decided all of a sudden they were no longer up to the job of clearing heat i dont know.

Anyhow i have stacked 2 pads on top of each other and now my laptop runs like a dream (infact i dont think its ever run so cool)

Put ive read and been told that 2 pads ontop of each other will have the reverse affect and cancel each other out making heat dissapation not perform properly and the GPU will just fry itself.

Is it ok for 2 pads to sit ontop of each other?
Or should i scour the google machine for some thicker single pads?

Many Thanks

I am Spartacus 12:19 06 Jan 2011

Specialtech have different thickness's of thermal pads click here I buy a lot of stuff from them and they have quick delivery.

OTT_B 12:34 06 Jan 2011

"Is it ok for 2 pads to sit ontop of each other?"

If it's working then....yes!

If you want alternatives then try I am Spartacus' suggestion, or use thermal paste in lieu of the pads, such as Arctic Silver 5.

I am Spartacus 13:09 06 Jan 2011

If you do decide to use Arctic Silver 5 or similar then double check that there's no electrical components near the heatsink. With it being electrically conductive there's a risk of shorting. MX-2, 3 or 4 are safer (and better) however they're designed to work best under pressure (about 40lbs per square inch, I think).

FTL 17:09 06 Jan 2011

it needs pads - tried paste and it doesnt even make contact with the heatsink.

Well its working like a dream so i think i will just get some thicker pads from suggested site for peice of mind.

Cheers all

Burn-it 21:44 06 Jan 2011

It may not actually be a heating problem.
Some laptops like the IBM T4n series use a BGA Graphics chip that are well known for problems like this.
Basically the problem is this:
The BGA stands for Ball Grid Array and instead of having pins that are pushed through holes and soldered at the back of the motherboard = quite a solid method, the BGA chip has tiny little balls where the pins would be and the mobo has little cups that they rest in. There is a tiny bit of solder between the balls and cups that both hold the chip in place and help complete the circuit.
What sometimes happens is that with the constant heating and cooling thermal stress (and any knocks) tends to cause cracking and 'DRY' joints that cease to conduct and the effect is what you see. Extra pressure on the chip by fitting an extra/thicker pad makes the contact again - until it eventually stops altogether.
It is possible to "repair" the problem by carefully heating up the chip with a heat gun until the solder melts and the joints are repaired, but it is quite a complicated procedure and requires the right equipment, and the temperatures and rate of temperature change is critical, but done correctly it has a near 100 percent success rate.

woodchip 22:24 06 Jan 2011

Me I would not go more than one pad, Heat cream is better about as big as a small pea

FTL 16:35 29 Jan 2011

@ burn it - think u may be right - she died again this afternoon and now no amount of tinkering gets it running again!

Do u know what temps to heathun it at and for how long? Comfortable doing it as brought many an xbox back from the dead like it.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?