2 sata hard drive qn

ash1956 19:47 07 Oct 2004

I have had problems with my computer, it kept rebooting up to the XP logo & then restarting backup again.
I could not resolve this so I have purchased another sata hard drive which I have fitted alongside my original hard drive.
I have installed XP on my new drive & that is working a treat. My intentions were to try & transfer my files from the the old drive to the new one but the old drive is not showing up as anything as if it dosn't exist on XP,only the new one. When you look at the bios it shows both drives in there.
I have used the Maxtor utility from there site & it is saying that the original hard drive could fail at any time. To my knowledge you do not need to set any jumper settings with sata drives. Has anyone any suggestions please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 07 Oct 2004

HOW TO SET UP A RAID ARRAY
click here

ash1956 20:09 07 Oct 2004

Thanks for reply Fruit Bat. Is there an idiots guide anywhere as I can't quite get my head around this at the moment.

Dorsai 20:32 07 Oct 2004

Try click here it worked for me, and i had no idea.

Dorsai 20:35 07 Oct 2004

though from reading your post, i am not really sure if setting up a raid array is what you are trying to do. Unless there is a history to this thread i have missed.

It could be that you original hdd has failed, as simple as that.

ash1956 21:09 07 Oct 2004

Thanks for reply Dorsai. There is no history to my thread apart from the fact that my original hard drive just kept rebooting so I bought a new one to try to see if it would work & it did so. I am just seeing if it's possible to get some of my data back fom the original drive by reconnecting it in with the new drive. I thought it would be a straight forward affair to do this but maybe it's not.
You may well be right my original hard drive could well be faulty.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?