2 Routers on one phoneline

Mean Machine 12:27 18 Dec 2006

Can anybody please answer this?

I have a wireless router upstair in my house which is hard wired to my PC! I now have another PC down stairs which is connect wirelessly. The connection is poor so I thought that I might be able to buy something to boost it. I have seen these devices that you plug in to the phone socket and it uses your home ring main as the connection but these are expensive and don't run that fast. So i was wondering if I can buy another router and plug it into another phone point and use it? Will this work or will one router take the IP address and lock it from the other?

Thank you for your help

Migwell 12:50 18 Dec 2006

I have heard that Maplins the electronics people do them, but they are expencive.

fitshase 13:32 18 Dec 2006

You cannot use 2 routers on one line as only one of them will be connected. Why not simply run a network cable down to the PC downstairs and have a better connection.

Alternatively, how about replacing the antenna on the wireless router with something like this:-

click here

anchor 14:32 18 Dec 2006

Have you tried moving the position of your upstairs wireless router?. I found an improvement in signal by doing this.

Stuartli 14:48 18 Dec 2006

These are the Devolo Microlink dLink kits:

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache