2 questions regarding a clean install of Windows.

Graphicool1 14:45 28 Jan 2011

When you do a clean install of Windows and you have to register it. Misrosoft then scans your PC hardware to make sure that you're not trying to pull a fast one and put it on a different set-up.

(1) How much updating does Microsoft allow and still give you a pass?

For instance: RAM ~ HHD ~ GRAPHICS/SOUND CARD ~ ETC.

(2) Is cloning your OS legal?

GaT7 14:53 28 Jan 2011

May depend on the Windows version. Older versions tend to be more lax than newer ones.

From my experience, it doesn't make any fuss about anything as much as it does the motherboard. XP will ignore a motherboard change some of the time, but I don't think you can get away with it when it comes to Vista/Win7.

Yes, cloning is very legal. It's what you do with the clone that matters. For example, you cannot clone one PC to another similar PC & continue using the same Product key on both. G

onthelimit 15:03 28 Jan 2011

Some reading click here

Graphicool1 15:10 28 Jan 2011

WinXP Home SP3

Owing to a mix up (genuine) I have two 'different' product keys for the same disk?

How?: When I last did a clean install they asked for the number that was printed on a label stuck to the back of the PC. I wasn't in a position to get round the back to see it. So I used a mirror. I told them the number over the phone. Initially they disputed the number I was quoting. But believing it to be correct I was adamant. They gave me another number. Afterwards I again checked the number, it was different to what I told the guy on the phone.

I have used that disk to install Windows on two machines with a different spec. I use both machines. Someone is giving me another PC, which although not new, it is 3 or 4 years newer than my main PC. The spec on the newer on is naturally higher than either of the others. I'm intending to clone the OS to this.

GaT7 15:20 28 Jan 2011

It probably won't work as the device drivers will be different, but a repair-install may fix it.

If your Windows version is Retail, then it's no problem (from a legal view) to keep installing it on all your subsequent systems - as long as only one instance of the licence is used at any given time.

But if it's an OEM version, 'technically' the licence dies with the first system it was installed on. As I said before, you may be able to get away with this on XP at times, but not Vista/Win7 without some jiggery-pokery involved ;-), but feel free to correct me if wrong! G

Graphicool1 15:28 28 Jan 2011

Thanx for the link, I'll give it a look.

lotvic 17:06 28 Jan 2011

Here's the detailed info from microsoft click here
Technical Details on Microsoft Product Activation for Windows XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?