2 Questions! Internet settings related

Thelegend 12:20 30 Jul 2009

1) For some reason I cannot seem to save my homepage. I have been to Internet options in control panel and applied it there but it keeps defaulting to Firefox Google page. Any suggestions please?
2) Having just done a clean install I have been transferring files to my new hard drive - the old one is still installed. I want to retrieve my old bookmarks for Firefox. Importing has not worked via the Firefox browser. The transmute programme didn't work. I have found and transferred the 'favourites' folder but want them in my bookmarks. Can anybody tell me where the bookmarks are stored and what file name they would have please?
Thanks.

howard64 12:28 30 Jul 2009

when your old drive was running firefox you have to go to the bookmarks tab at the top and click on organise bookmarks. You then get the option to backup and it saves a file ending something like bookmark.htms. Once this is done and the new drive is running firefox you follow the same procedure and restore bookmark and point to the file.

tullie 12:42 30 Jul 2009

Ive just learned something!Dident know there was internet options in control panel,i have allways saved my settings in the browser itself.

Stuartli 13:11 30 Jul 2009

From your browser (all pretty much work the same way) and go to Tools>Options>Home Page (usually General tab) after first displaying your required home page on screen.

Then to Enable your correct home page, click on Current Page and confirm or OK after making sure the home page is listed in the field.

You will need to do this for any other browser you have.

woodchip 14:15 30 Jul 2009

Which Browser are you using? as the one in Control Panel is for IE not any other Browser. You should change settings and save within the Browser you wish to use

woodchip 14:21 30 Jul 2009

Which Browser are you using? as the one in Control Panel is for IE not any other Browser. You should change settings and save within the Browser you wish to use. Look for Mozila on your Hard Drive the File that contains Bookmarks will be in one of those.

Look for Bookmarks.html in Firefox Mozila. these you can but on a disc or memory the point Firefox to these for Importing

Thelegend 02:09 31 Jul 2009

Thanks for the responses - Homepage is sorted thank you.
Regarding the bookmarks, I didn't save them as described by howard64 - so it seems I don't have such a file to import. I've tried copying and pasting the 'bookmarks' file from the old Mozilla folder to the new one on the current drive but it contains none of my old bookmarks (presumably because I didn't back them up).
Is there a way of taking them from the 'favourites' folder into my bookmarks maybe?

tullie 03:56 31 Jul 2009

In Firefox, File/Import

Thelegend 13:54 31 Jul 2009

That wouldn't work but I've managed to manually drag and drop them into the correct folder. many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?