2 probs

steve-252371 21:05 03 Dec 2005

I have just upgraded to xp and would like to know what the minimum amount of memory i need to leave for system restore as i am short of memory.
The other thing is that i have decided to buy an external hard drive and would like to know if i can run progs from this or can i only use it for storage.
Cheers

Skills 21:20 03 Dec 2005

For the first question system restore doesnt use memory to store restore points it stores them on the hard drive I have set 2gig aside I think. Basically the more space you allow it the more restore points you have to go back to.

For the second Im not entirely sure but I dont see why you couldnt install programs onto your external drive but to be able to use the programs you would have to have the drive plugged in all the time you are using them. Also the programs would not work on another machine because the registry entries and the like would not be there.

keith-236785 21:26 03 Dec 2005

the minimum memory spec is 64MB but i have to say, i have tried xp on a pc with only 64MB and it is a painful experience, horribly slow and gives a bad impresssion of xp.

most systems (budget/entry) have 256mb which i believe is still not enough. 512mb is a good figure to have unless you plan to do video editing

if as you say you are short of memory and can afford 128mb then i would use that as an absolute minimum, allowing as much as you can spare above that.

not sure about the hard drive question, but i would imagine that it could be used for programs (installations). but not sure if it could be used as a boot device to hold windows. but then thats just guessing, im sure someone will give you an answer soon.

keith-236785 21:27 03 Dec 2005

scrub what i just said in my last post, i didnt see the reference to system restore.

sorry,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?