2 printers installed on same pc?

SB23 14:45 19 Jan 2007

Can I have 2 printers installed on the same pc?

The reason I ask is that my Lexmark is being a little awkward at the mo, so I purchased an all in one to eventually replace it with.
As I have some important documents to print off at the end of the month, and I don't trust the Lexmark, (although, should be ok for the kids to use), can I install my new one, without having to uninstall the Lexmark?

Thanks

Steve

jimv7 14:48 19 Jan 2007

I have 2 printers installed, and I have seen a computer with 4 installed, just pick which printer you want tp print from.

€dstowe 14:49 19 Jan 2007

Some of my machines have six printers attached.

You cannot have two printers of the same model or series but, other than that, you can have as many as you want.

SB23 14:50 19 Jan 2007

Thats good to know.
When you print, does the pc ask which one to use?
Sorry to ask, but I really don't know.

driving man 14:56 19 Jan 2007

Assuming you are on xp
Go to control panel--- then printers and faxes--
upper part of left pane see add printer.
click on it and follow instructions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 19 Jan 2007

As above +
you can set which printer is the default so when you click the print icon in word etc. it always prints to the default printer.

to select which printer to use in word -- file menu print select the printer in the drop down box.

PaulB2005 15:02 19 Jan 2007

For example in Word, if you just click Print it will use the Default Printer. If you go to File, Print... you can then select which printer at the top of the print dialogue box.

pj123 15:06 19 Jan 2007

€dstowe, I have two Epson R220's connected to my PC. The default is listed as Epson Stylus Photo R220 Series and the other as Epson Stylus Photo R220 Series (Copy 1). No conflicts at all.

SB23 16:03 19 Jan 2007

Sorry for the delay in replying, had to pick the kids up from school.
Will tick as resolved, as you have all answered my question. I will set the new one as default, and I'll install tonight.

Thanks all.

Steve

SB23 20:25 19 Jan 2007

Just to let you all know, I've installed the all in one, and its working well. The Lexmark is still working too! (Lucky I had a spare cable).

Thanks again.

Steve

Simsy 20:40 19 Jan 2007

"You cannot have two printers of the same model"

Are you sure that's correct?

I have a feeling, though I haven't done it, that you can install the same printer again, and it will appear in "Printers" in control panel with a (2) by it's name. You could then set this one differently to the first...

e.g. one could be set for letters and the other photos.

I haven't done it, but I seem to recall that it's possible.As usual, I'm open to correction!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?