2 printers, 1 PC

rickd 10:01 17 Oct 2006

I want to switch between 2 aging laser/inkjet printers on my PC, both of which use the old style 25 pin leads (i.e pre USB), but I only have the one printer port. Do I need to get a manual printer switch (i.e a box with a big knob on it for a/b), or can i use a simple 2PC's into 1 printer sharing connector backwards (i.e as a splitter), and toggle printers from Windows? Or is there an easier solution?

spuds 10:32 17 Oct 2006

What operating system are you using?

Maplin supply a box for this purpose, but make sure that you have the correct type before you buy. I have used this type of connection in the past, and had various good and bad results.

At present I am using 3 printers on my system. 2 usb inkjets and one parrallel laser, configured through XP printer set-up. Simple case of transfering from one printer to another at the click of the mouse.

rickd 10:43 17 Oct 2006

Using xp, so the software should handle it, just could do without another box on my desk if manual switching is a thing of the past, but I'm not sure if the PC would understand a splitter and could find the right printer cos it would simply send from 1 port (may even try printing to both printers at the same time!).
If I had 2 USB + 1 pll printer, it wouldn't be a problem, as I have 6 usb connections!

mgmcc 11:50 17 Oct 2006

You could always install another parallel port using a PCI card.

rickd 05:52 31 Oct 2006

Bought a switch off ebay for 99p, works great

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone