2 Pin or 3 Pin Power Adaptor

AP22 14:38 23 Feb 2007

I have a new Sony Vaio Laptop VGN-SZ1XP/C. The power adapter (240v AC mains down to 19.5V DC)has a three pin (clover leaf) plug into the adapter. On the market is a neat bit of kit called a slim plug which is a standard 240V mains plug but the pins fold down for travelling. (click here) However, this comes with a two pin figure of eight plug for fitting into an adapter. Can I cut off this two pin and replace it with my clover leaf three pin so that the slim plug fits my adapter? The question I guess is whether the adapter needs an earth. Interestingly, if you go to the Misco web site, the adapter they sell for my laptop has only two pins.

Arnie 16:06 23 Feb 2007

Whether any equipment needs to be earthed or not depends basically whether it is double insulated or has an isolated switched mode power supply.

Most if not all laptop computers will be safe to run on a 2pin plug.
It is the same with modern VCRs, televisions CD recorders etc.

On these equipments, a 3pin plug will often be fitted with a plastic Earth pin anyway.
The false earth pin is there to release the shutter device which guards against contact with the live pin on the socket.

Arnie 16:12 23 Feb 2007

As long as you don't carry out any modifications to your new laptop mains lead, your guarantee will remain intact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?