2 PC's + Data Link + Data switch boxes...problem.

Derek 09:58 09 Jul 2003

I have two working PC's on the desk both running ME with plenty of capacity and running well.
I decided to get into linking the two, went to a local fair and bought a switchbox and numerous leads so that I could use 2 PC's and one each mouse, keyboard and big monitor.
It all works perfectly and I'm very impressed.

I've now put both PC's back to standard for the time being because I want to try 'data linking'.

I've bought a box called "USB Data Link / USB Turbo Link" for £12 and I think its made by "Prolific". In it I have one cable USB to USB, and a disc with the PC drivers and a manual.

I've done exactly what the manual says by connecting the cable to both machines, I then go through the proceedure to load the drivers and eventually on the screen I have an icon which loads up the programme.
On the upper part of the screen I have the contents of my hard disc and the bottom half is blank.

In the taskbar I select "Connect" and then "Remote" and, a box appears that says "The remote connection doesn't exist. Open the remote machine anyway ?"

I hasten to add that I've loaded the other PC with the same software.

Can anyone please assist because eventually I would like to link and swap data between PC's and have only one set of periferals on the office desk.

Derek 05:56 29 Nov 2003

Cracked it many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?