2 PCs on 1 run of cat5?

WhiteTruckMan 20:32 20 Jun 2006

Hopefully a simple one, but things do have a way of snowballing when I start having ideas about rearranging networks. here it is: Cat5e cable has 8 wires (in 4 twisted pairs). Given that only 2 pairs actually are wired up, can I use the other pair to run a second machine. It means doing some messing about withthe plugs, but the underfloor cable is already in place and before anyone mentions wireless, that involves spending some of the hard earned, whereas what I have in mind the hardware is already lying around.

Am I going to get too much in losses/interference with each other machine? was thinking of wiring cable to a twin wallsocket fitting.

WTM

mgmcc 20:47 20 Jun 2006

The correct solution would be to connect a network switch to your existing cable run to provide additional ethernet ports.

WhiteTruckMan 20:57 20 Jun 2006

I have the twin objectives of connecting 2 pcs with what I have to hand. If it cant be done then it cant be done and money will have to be spent. However I'd like to see if anyone can authoritavely say its a no go before I go to all the trouble of messing about with wiring, crimping etc.

WTM

ade.h 22:13 20 Jun 2006

If it were me, I'd be reticent to pull the wires about, given the difficulty of repacing cable runs, although I have little doubt that you know what you're doing.

Switches can be quite cheap click here; there's a nice 5-star 3Com click here

Forum Editor 23:22 20 Jun 2006

between two computers, but you should know that it isn't standards compliant - in other words, you shouldn't really do it on any form of commercial network.

To be honest, the best way to do this is to buy some ethernet cable splitters - they cost about a fiver each, and I should think you'll get them at Maplins, or anywhere that stocks network accessories.

WhiteTruckMan 00:01 21 Jun 2006

and I think I will have to sleep on it before I come to a decision as to which way I will go. I'm going to tick this as resolved as I have enough information to accomplish the primary task, which is getting 2 machines running.

WTM

Incidentally, does anyone know just why cat 5 cable has this seeming redundancy?

The Elf 16:39 28 Jun 2006

>Incidentally, does anyone know just why cat 5 cable has this seeming redundancy?

I think it mainly has to do with wire engineering. The other pairs twist a certain number of times per foot, allowing for less interference, attenuation, etc. If it were only two pair, the engineering of the cable would have to be different.

I imagine that also when CAT5 was designed, it was expected to allow for ethernet standard growth...the next big standard utilizing all four pair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone