2 lines of "chinese"

joncuk 16:53 26 May 2004

Help, I am a technician at a school, one of my stations has suddenly refused to boot up. I can see a long line of what looks like chinese or indian characters. This appears only about 3/4 seconds into boot up after ide checks. If I try to get into bios before this appears I can see only a black screen.

Don't know what to do !! We are running Windows XP at the station,Windows 2000 server at the server, the processor is a celeron 700 with a Phoenix award bios. Any ideas? Could it have been hacked by a student?

NOTE, can't get into bios or rebuild the station via floppy disc or boot up in safe mode

rawprawn 16:57 26 May 2004

Can you boot from the OS CD and follow repair ?

hugh-265156 17:00 26 May 2004

any beeps?

joncuk 17:07 26 May 2004

Haven't tried to boot from OS CD as I normally just boot from floppy disc and invoke re-build from the server or restore from hard disk.

No beeps..it doesnt seem to get that far.

hugh-265156 17:14 26 May 2004

im no expert but if you cannot even get into the bios i would not hold out much hope of booting from a cd to repair.

i would try reseting the cmos jumper

jimv7 19:19 26 May 2004

Try another graphic card.

Fruit Bat 19:23 26 May 2004

Disconnect then reconnect MObo battery this will rest Bios get rid of passwords and hopefully you can then get back in.

joncuk 13:58 18 Jun 2004

Very sorry for delay in reporting back. Managed to get bios running again using fruit bat's suggestion of taking out the CMOS battery.

I have never seen anything like this before..
Again many thanks to Fruit Bat.

JC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?