2 Lappys on N/Work, 1 of them dropping connection

AngeTheHippy 18:02 29 Jan 2011

*Also posted on 'Networking, but this is a better forum I think*

Afternoon Chaps,
NOW I'm really confused. I have 2 Laptops connected wirelessly, 1 Vista, the other Windows 7. The Vista laptop seems to be dropping the connection,when I look at 'Network & Sharing Centre on the Vista laptop, it's telling me signal strength excellent but with a red cross indicating there is a break between me and the internet. HOWEVER, the windows 7 laptop (on it now) is working perfectly OK!! How can I trouble shoot this please?

Thanks

Ange
x

AngeTheHippy 18:25 29 Jan 2011

On my Vista lappy again. Dunno what's going on!
Anyone?

AngeTheHippy 17:42 30 Jan 2011

No one got any ideas then....?

Daveboy 17:44 30 Jan 2011

What router are you using ?

AngeTheHippy 17:52 30 Jan 2011

Hi Daveboy, it's a TP Link TL-WR841N. We're on that new system being trialled near Ashby in Lincolns, wireless internet into the village.

A

AngeTheHippy 17:52 30 Jan 2011

Hi Daveboy, it's a TP Link TL-WR841N. We're on that new system being trialled near Ashby in Lincoln, wireless internet into the village.

A

961 17:54 30 Jan 2011

Can you connect the Vista laptop via ethernet cable and see if it works ok?

If so, can you get on to your W7 laptop and troubleshoot via the "home network"

You should be able to find the Vista laptop and troubleshoot from there

(Ensure both are switched on and close to router to avoid any problems with wireless connection)

mooly 18:00 30 Jan 2011

Thoughts that come to mind... two laptops, maybe a channel clash somewhere. Are you trying to use both together ?

Maybe change the wireless channel in the router as that is a common issue with wireless connections.

Other obscure thoughts are to check the wireless card driver is up to date and maybe look in "power plans" on the Vista laptop and make sure initially that it's set for max performance for wireless on both battery and mains.

Daveboy 18:04 30 Jan 2011

Also check that both PC,s are set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" so there is no conflict of addressing from the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?