2 copies of Win XP home - need to remove 1 !

Shortstop 22:25 24 Apr 2007

Hi,

It's that time of the year again & I decided to format & re-install Windows - only I can't have been concentrating as I have managed to install XP onto both my 'C' & 'D' drives. I spotted this when re-installing my other software & deleted the Windows folder in 'D' but, on boot-up, I am asked to choose which one I want to load [obviously, I can only load the one]. Windows on 'C' loads without issue.

I would like to remove the 'Which Windows do you wish to use?' screen and am hoping that there is a quick fix to this rather than having to re-format the 'C' and 'D' drives as I have just spent a couple of hours re-installing & configuring all my software back to how I want it.

Thanks for any guidance!

BR

Paul

MAJ 22:31 24 Apr 2007

Go to Start > run, type in

msconfig

and click OK. Click the Boot.ini tab and then click on the 'Check all Boot paths' button.

rodriguez 22:35 24 Apr 2007

Go to C:\ and open up the boot.ini file in Notepad (you might need to show the hidden and system files first for it to show up). You should then get something like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Basically delete the bottom one (or the one with rdisk(1) in it so that you get:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

making sure that it's the one with rdisk(0) in. Next time you restart, it should only see the 1 version of Windows and boot it without showing that screen.

Shortstop 22:54 24 Apr 2007

You have just saved me from hours of work being wasted!!!

REALLY appreciate the advice - all resolved.

Thanks once again.

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?