2 Computers 1 usb Printer

spuds 16:35 19 Mar 2007

I previously ran 3 computers connected to 1 printer via a parallel connection and changeover box. Having now decided that I want to connect a usb printer. Can you suggest a way of making the new usb connection, so that I can still use 2 computers with 1 printer.

Using Windows XP Pro on one computer and XP Home on the second computer.

Technotiger 16:40 19 Mar 2007

Hi, if you have a home network with modem/router you could connect the usb printer wirelessly, though not all printers have this capability.

interzone55 16:51 19 Mar 2007

You could get a USB Print server, plug it into a hub / Switch / Router and print that way.
Check Ebuyer for Print Servers, be careful though, most print servers are parallel, but there are USB one available. I have a Belkin, but D-Link also make them

spuds 16:51 19 Mar 2007

Hi Technotiger. I have a wired modem/router set-up which doesn't have a printer connection facility. There are no wireless provisions on the printer as well. Had I been on cable internet, then I have a router/modem with the printer device, which would have done the job, but alas on Tiscali b/b.

spuds 16:54 19 Mar 2007

alan14. Thanks for that,I was thinking on the same lines funny enough. Will check Ebuyer shortly, as I have some other purchases to make from them this evening.

Terry Brown 16:59 19 Mar 2007

On my wife's computer, which she uses mainly for writing letters,and has it's own printer I have added my photo printer (USB) software to her machine so she can (when necessary)print out pictures etc.

This is connected by network cable (RJ45) to my router and works OK.
The only minor problem is, if one of us is using the printer, the other one cannot access it.

The computers are win XP(mine) and Win ME, and using the add printer software, I had no problem.
Terry

Technotiger 17:06 19 Mar 2007

Hmm, are you sure you cannot do it wirelessly. I have a modem/router with ethernet wired connection to main pc, also wifi enabled laptop. Printer is Epson R265 - by running network wizard from Control Panel on both pcs' I was able to setup printer sharing so laptop can use printer wirelessly. The second pc would only need a cheap ethernet card fitted to accomplish this.

Bagsey 17:39 19 Mar 2007

Try this. It should do the job for you.
click here

audeal 19:21 19 Mar 2007

I use this to run two computers and one printer.

click here

spuds 11:03 20 Mar 2007

After looking at various options including buying new usb type 'changeover' switches. I think my best and cheapest route, is to use another one of my spare parallel printer's on one of the computers, usb on the other.

One of the main reasons for considering this move, is due to my stock of ever increasing devices, some are still very usable and others are virtually now obsolete with modern technology. Use what you have already got, and perhaps save a few pounds ;o)

Thanks to everyone, your suggestions and input gladly appreciated.Will now tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?