2 Computers & 1 Printer ?

  Giggle n' Bits 09:54 15 Jan 2004

What if there is something can you use to print using 1 printer (USB) from 2 computers.

Or explained another way. I want to be able to print from 1 printer but havethe option of Computer No. or computer No.2.

Is there some sort of a hub device and do places like Dabs have them ?

  recap 10:03 15 Jan 2004

There is the option of networking your computers.

  critic-al 10:08 15 Jan 2004

if you dont wish to use a network..click here

  Dr. Charles(retired now) 10:21 15 Jan 2004

The simple answer is to put a switch between the 2 Computers and select which one you wish to print from.

A more technical solution might be a bidirectional card.

A switch might not be the glamorous technical solution you might want, but it's very practical.
Best wishes,

  Giggle n' Bits 10:21 15 Jan 2004

but haven't a clue how to go about it. I read of all sorts of problems and don't want to mess out up. Is there any idiot guides step by step with pics etc to do this ?. Also thanks recap

critic-al, The printer is USB not Parralel.

  Giggle n' Bits 10:24 15 Jan 2004

Hello, you say a Switch, erh what kinda switch please.

  Newuser796 18:12 15 Jan 2004

AggaDoo - easy to do, all you need is a simple hub from dab's or maplin (usualy comes with cables). Run setup wizard on each machine and remember to set one as host & one as client - best to connect printer to host. The wizard will prompt you so its hard to mess up. As long as both computers are on you can print from any. (remember to check firewall if you have one and show both computers in trusted sites). Good luck

  Giggle n' Bits 19:52 15 Jan 2004

It sounds easy but not knowing the names of parts and a 123 step by step for people like myself in this dept is difficult. I can build decent AMD Athlon XP machines but networking and using unknown hubs is new to me.

  Newuser796 20:20 15 Jan 2004

AggaDoo - in the dabs web site if you look in the networking section or in maplins under hubs and switches lots to chose from - a simple 5 port hub/switch is all you need. I had a quick look and if your computers have a built in net port (rj45 connection - looks like a phone jack) you can pick a bare hub and dont require network cards in the kit (these are also quite inexpensive)
best wishes

  mrdsgs 21:28 15 Jan 2004

you are all complicating matters too much

You need Belkin USB SWITCH, nota hub.

You want part no: F1U200

available from PC World etc.

I have just sold one on ebay for £16.00

Connect up to 4 computeres to one usb device, no need for external power justa simple plastic box with a push button to select which computer and one usb cable to each computer and one to the printer. Works a charm.

In my case I l;ink itb toa matching hub so that I can share a scanner, second printer, compact flash reader and a usb cordless keyboard as well.

PC World and most normal stockists will have the Belkij USB switch in stock for around £25.00


  Giggle n' Bits 22:12 15 Jan 2004

explanation simple for me to understand. I will go looking now. Again thank you for your feedback every and mrdsgs !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?