2 computers, 1 monitor

Sapins 16:01 06 Jan 2005

I have one system running 98SE, 650Mhz CPU, 256MB RAM and one system running XP Home, Pentium 4 3.0GH, 512MB RAM which I want to use with one monitor.

I want to network them later on to share a broadband connection, and possibly add a laptop, wirelessly.

What do I need to set this up with one monitor now and network them later on?

Xevious 16:03 06 Jan 2005

simply get your hands on a KVM switch box. it'll share 1x monitor, 1x mouse, 1x keyboard with however many PC's you chose...

Sapins 16:13 06 Jan 2005

Thanks for the swift reply Xevious, can you give me a few more details, make, model, supplier etc;

Xevious 16:21 06 Jan 2005

click here

there are cheaper ones, but this one is very good, i use it myself.

can share up to 4x PC's with this model!

Sapins 16:51 06 Jan 2005

Thanks again, last question, can I share a printer with no added hardware?

flecc 17:10 06 Jan 2005

to share a printer. The KVM won't do it, but when you set up the network you will be able to print through the network to the printer on the machine that has it installed.

Alternatively, if it's a parallel connection printer you can buy a printer changeover switch from the likes of Maplin, around £20 to £30 I think, or with a USB printer you can just hotplug to whatever machine you like while it's running.

Through the network is best though, and cheap as well.

Sapins 17:15 06 Jan 2005

Thanks flecc, have all the info I need now,

Thanks again to you both,

Regards,

Sapins.

Xevious 09:15 07 Jan 2005

there are also printer USB hubs, do a search no ebuyer for that. works a treat. printer will always be available to both PC's, no need to switch over from one to the other.

but as flecc says, the best way is to share it across your LAN connection

Sapins 09:27 07 Jan 2005

May need a USB hub as I am not looking to build a network for a while, although the new Network Forum will be interesting.

I'm just aiming to "play" about with the old system at the moment, I wanted to avoid any unnecessary expense and/or buy something I won't need later on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017