2 (almost) identical printer probs

brett1500 18:08 14 Jun 2006

hi folks i was given a lexmark z515 printer from a friend and went and bought a z617 without realising they were both the same apart from the model numbers. i would like to use one for black text and the newer one for photos however thats where my probs began i installed both printers although when i try to print from the photo one, the printer indicator pops up next to the clock it disappears and nothing else happens ive tried renamimg each printer seperatly, setting one to default but still nothing happens from either one they are both in usb ports and im at my wits end thanks for your help its very appreciated!

ade.h 18:15 14 Jun 2006

If either printer has a parallel port and your motherboard has legacy connections, perhaps you could use that interface for your chosen text printer. It's slower, but not significantly so when sending text files. I think it would almost certainly work then.

Pidder 18:17 14 Jun 2006

Can't you just plug in the one you intend to use at any particular time?

brett1500 18:31 14 Jun 2006

theres not a parallel port on my motherboard and ive tried to do pidders advice but the same happens, the icon appears then nothing happens even when its set on default

wallbash 18:34 14 Jun 2006

click here

usb data box ???
this would sit between printers

I use it to connect two computers to a printer
could you use it for 2 printers to one computer

They are very cheap

brett1500 18:43 14 Jun 2006

ive tried a usb hub ive tried all the 6 ports on the pc but they still gets confused but not as much as me

Pidder 19:01 14 Jun 2006

I would go back to the beginning, uninstal the printer driver, reinstal then get one printer working and then just swap from one to the other depending what you want to print.

brett1500 19:16 14 Jun 2006

ive done that one works fine but the other gets dazed and confused

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017