1TB External drive -USB or Mains

compumac 10:27 23 Jan 2014

I need yet an additional external drive should it be a USB or mains powered?

compumac 10:31 23 Jan 2014

I should have added that this external drive is for use with a desktop PC and not a laptop.

rdave13 10:48 23 Jan 2014

If it's not going to be that portable then I'd get a powered drive with a cooling fan if possible.

martd7 11:08 23 Jan 2014

I would agree,mains powered

I recently purchased this seagate and its very quiet,fast(usb3)and was recommended to me by a forum member,this is the 2tb version £64

click here 1tb version £57

click here

The

wee eddie 12:14 23 Jan 2014

I feel that as it will be USB3 (which delivers more power) and on a PC, rather than a laptop, and that Hard Drives have become hugely less power hungry of late, a USB3 one is adequate.

I am using a WD My Passport on a powered USB2 Hub with 6 other items connected. No problems. My PC is old with 4 (Legacy) USB1 Ports and only 2 USB2 Ports.

Can't see the need for an external power source

rdave13 12:25 23 Jan 2014

If it will be a 3.5" drive, I'd go for an OEM drive and put it in one of these. If going for a 2.5" drive then usb powered should be good enough.

Woolwell 13:01 23 Jan 2014

wee eddie - But you have an external power source which is the powered USB hub.

Personally I would go for a mains powered drive connected to a desktop.

wee eddie 14:44 23 Jan 2014

Woolwell: That is because my PC only has 2 USB2 sockets (The others are USB1) and a minimum of 5 items connected to one of them at any time. Admittedly all are not turned on at the same time but USB2 has a very limited ability to deliver power, particularly if compared to USB3.

Incidentally, the 7 Socket Powered Hub cost less than a Tenner.

compumac 14:55 11 Feb 2014

On my one PC there are two internal drives, one 1TB containing OS and programmes and the other 500GB that holds all of my data.

I currently have two powered external hard drives used for Acronis images and synchronised Data backup. The one is only 500GB whereas the other is 1TB. I am considering REPLACING the 500GB with a 1-2TB drive or alternatively ADDING IT AS AN EXTERNAL THIRD drive for backups.

I use Acronis for images and Acronis NonStop for syncing data as well as AllWay Sync for syncing data.

I also have another 500GB external drive for making backup images for my laptops as a separate arrangement.

I think that it was rdave13 on another posting who has an external drive that he only connects as a safety measure when making a backup.

Questions

1) Having a number of external drives - potential problems?

2) The advisability of leaving the new drive connected at all times?

All thoughts/comments/suggestions would be welcomed.

wee eddie 16:23 11 Feb 2014

With the current crop of Ransom Ware doing the rounds, it might be sensible to think of a way of isolating your Back-up System

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?