1st time laptop buyer help!

Verchi 15:31 12 Aug 2006

I want a good laptop mainly for internet and basic use but with the capacity for more (such as editing programmes) should I want it in the future, that will allow me to use the internet not only at home but while travelling and out and about. I'm useless with computer jargon so can anyone tell me the things I should be looking out for or will need to purchase seperately if that's the case, along with any recommendations?

Jackcoms 16:12 12 Aug 2006
  johndrew 16:26 12 Aug 2006

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. My daughter is also after a laptop, I shall point her at click here but not necesarily from PC World, it may be cheaper elsewhere so I`m looking around.

Border View 22:44 12 Aug 2006

Three weeks ago I purchased an Acer laptop from Dot Com Systems of North Road, Durham City and can recommend them without reservation. Service and price/spec of laptop was outstanding. They dont have a web site but are in the telephone directory. P.S. I have no financial interest or otherwise whatsoever with this company. Only total satisfaction with service.

Verchi 09:50 13 Aug 2006

Thank you.

I have been researching the threads since my post, and have a new question to add - to have the internet access I need (ie out and about), would this be WiFi or wireless capability? What does WiFi stand for? I read something about Hot Spots, do I need to be in one in order to connect to the internet?

I am looking to spend no more than £800 at a max but obviously half that price would be better!

dms05 10:30 13 Aug 2006

Have a look at a wide range from namy manufacturers click here I have used Toshiba for many years and have recently bought an Acer. Both are recommended. Acer seem very price competitive at this time (and I'm told are also the worlds largest manf of laptops)

Verchi 11:51 13 Aug 2006

Thank you, yes those prices seem quite good. I've also seen a good-priced Sony Vaio FE21B, would this cover all that I am looking for?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?