1gb PaBell FLEX 01: XP Home: Fault:-Slow Shutdown

superglue 22:18 20 Apr 2003

This is my friends Computer whitch had been hit by a virus some time ago (Type Unknown ) that was apparently dealt with by Norton Antivirus But Found unknown files in Microsoft Office with the ~ mank in the end off the name so these were deleted,The machine was running very slow ( 6 seconds to open Start Menue + Window refresh slow (800x600 16bit screen colours) I managed to improve this by upgrading the memory to 256mb from 128mb +setting virtual mem to 750x750 page size ,defraging drives and virtual mem , Cleaned out system Registry , + several other speed up adjustments to make the machine quite usable.
My main problem now is shutdown speed which was 55 secs from "Windows is now shutting down " message This was reduced to 25 secs by reducing the" wait to kill timeout " to 500 from 20000.
then tried shut down with only essential windows progs loaded so as to bypass the 32 tasks on the tasks list but this did not improve the speed.
I then tried my hard drive (7200rpm ) in this machine and got a 4 secs shutdown time so is it possible that this is a 5400 rpm drive and would this slow the machine down this much or has something in the windows XP opperating system got damaged or deleted (No XP home CD (Preeloaded sytem)) , Have got my XP Professional CD so is it possible to load any missing or corrupted files from my disc.

hope someone can assist with this problem

VoG™ 22:29 20 Apr 2003

You could try Start, Run and type

SFC /SCANNOW

and have your XP disk to hand. This should replace any damaged system files.

Alternatively, backup all user docs etc. and use the restore disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires