1920 x 1080 resolution

je-haz 10:42 19 Aug 2010

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 22" viewsonic monitor (VX2250wm-LED) which has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

If I plug my laptop in (max. res. is 1366 x 768), will this look OK on the monitor even though the laptop cant handle the monitors native res?

Thanks, James

woodchip 11:04 19 Aug 2010

You will most likely have a border all way round

je-haz 11:08 19 Aug 2010

so it will be a small screen size? does that mean theres no point getting the monitor?

is it not possible to just run the monitor at the laptops res?

woodchip 11:12 19 Aug 2010

I would think not, as your graphics card does not support it. You could try to see if you can get a updated Graphics driver for your laptop. it may then work

Ian in Northampton 13:00 19 Aug 2010

Ummm... I'm sure I'm being stupid here, but why would you want a monitor with a higher resolution than your laptop can handle? Even if you can upscale 1366 x 768 to 1920 x 1080, you'll almost certainly introduce artifacts that will negate the point of having a high resolution monitor in the first place.

je-haz 14:12 19 Aug 2010

its because my laptop is a samsung x125 which has a 12.6" screen.

Its a great screen for when I'm mobile, but when I'm not mobile I want to use a screen that I dont have to squint to see.

Then in about 4 months I am getting a desktop and I will use my desktop with the monitor instead, and only use the laptop when im mobile.

DieSse 14:25 19 Aug 2010

I would imagine it'll display fine - they've even got very nearly the same aspect ratio, so there shouldn't be any distortion.

I'm not sure why the above are thinking you can't properly display a lower resolution than the native resolution of the monitor - that's a pretty normal thing to do.

However, you can also check that your laptop can't display the higher resolution, by going into Display Properties - Settings - Advvaced - Monitor" and unticking the "Hide etc" box then OK - then Advanced - Adapter and clicking "List all modes" - you'll see what the adapter can run at.

je-haz 15:06 19 Aug 2010

ahhh, i see.

the 1366 x 768 of the laptop is because thats what the laptop screen can handle, but its graphics card might be able to handle more...including the viewsonic monitor res

thanks a lot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?