16 bit windows subsystem error

L6KRB 04:42 25 Nov 2004

I have had to do a rebuid with xp home due to a virus contamination, everything is fine now however, some programs will not start, they come up with C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT THE SYSTEM FILE IS NOT SUITABLE FOR RUNNING MS-DOS OR MICROSOFT APPLICATIONS CHOOSE CLOSE TO TERMINATE PROGRAM I have a feeling it has something to do with using NTFS when doing the rebuild but not sure how to get round the problem, any advice would be welcome

ventanas 09:07 25 Nov 2004

Very popular at the moment. click here

Sethhaniel 09:16 25 Nov 2004

this seems to be quite a problem of late -
IS it to do with XP and Microsoft - does it appear in other versions ME or Windows 2000

but it looks like there is a 'hole' somewhere in the operating system leading to what can be quite a problem to fix and it needs addressing by Microsoft or whoever

ventanas 09:29 25 Nov 2004

I've been wondering just the same as you. Why so many all of a sudden. Many of the queries predate SP2 so it can't be to do with that. Perhaps we'll find out in time.

MidgetMan 10:22 25 Nov 2004

I have recently encountered this as well, as has been said a very popular problem just lately

Sethhaniel 10:49 25 Nov 2004

extracting autoexec etc to no avail
the software that was hitting the problem was GSP and their site offered the same solution - to no avail - in the end I copied Autoexec.nt from c:\window\repair to C:\windows\system32 folder and it worked - but from reading this forum not always ;)

L6KRB 11:08 27 Nov 2004

Thanks to all, now sorted , renewing the autoexec.nt file did the trick.

cheers KB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)