16 bit apps in Win XP

Taurus 12:57 25 Oct 2006

Hi everyone, I have recently re-installed XP Pro and for the first time upgraded via MS website to SP3. Since doing so, I am unable to install some of my earlier apps that woked in XP prevously, such as Paint Shop Pro and others. Sometimes it will not start the load or it will start and then freeze and after a period of time will display a time-out error box saying that the 16 bit subsystem is unstable. I have tried a further re-install but the problem remains, a search of the MKB resulted in a fix that didn't work, does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Many thanks

sean-278262 13:03 25 Oct 2006

"Hi everyone, I have recently re-installed XP Pro and for the first time upgraded via MS website to SP3."

Guessing you mean SP2 as SP3 is due early 2008. Did you buy an upgrade CD or is it a full version of windows xp pro?

Looking around at other suggestions are have you got AV running? If so disable it. Have you considered a repair install of XP?

Taurus 13:16 25 Oct 2006

I have done a complete re-install to try and fix the problem so a repair is unlikely to be any better I would have thought. It is a full version of XP Pro. Regarding the SP2/3 thing, I have Belarc Advisor installed and it descibes SP2 as a single file (KB811113) and a further 65 individual files under the heading of SP3. Additionally there are a couple each under SP0 and SP1. However, this does not solve the problem and if anyone can help I would be grateful.

SANTOS7 13:22 25 Oct 2006

You do not need to download any SP other than SP2
SP1 should already be on the disc, SP3 is an Office XP addition which there are known issues with which mey relate to your problem,

suggest

reinstall XP Pro and SP2 only..

SANTOS7 13:23 25 Oct 2006

mey=may, ooops..

Taurus 13:26 25 Oct 2006

Thanks SANTOS7, I will remove the SP3 fixes and try again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 25 Oct 2006

Leave all your hotfixes alone they have nothing to do with your 16 bit problems.

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error message when you install or start Xp,
Do the following.
click here and click on XP_Fix.EXE
or
Rename the existing file autoexec.nt to autoexec.old (make sure you have not got your system files hidden). Inside the windows folder there should be one called "repair". Within this folder there should be a copy of autoexec.nt. Make a copy of the file and place in the orignal location
click here

Taurus 18:12 25 Oct 2006

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, but that didn't work either, so I guess I'll just have to put up with it. Thanks to you and the others who took the trouble to respond.

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone