1394 v USB

the-emsworth-kid 10:04 22 Mar 2006

Following a power problem (an electrician turned of the supply while the system was running!) my 2 Maxtor HDDs went missing from My Computer. They were 1394 daisy-chained.

Can't get the disk manager to find them - Norton Disk Doctor similary. However one of the disks is dual 1394/USB and if I USB connect it XP recgnises it with no problems and the data is readable.

Any suggestions please - for instance do I have to do something to get 1394 active again?

johnnyrocker 10:21 22 Mar 2006

check in network connections via control panel you may find 1394 has become disabled and it may be a matter of right click/enable.

johnny.

the-emsworth-kid 10:51 22 Mar 2006

Thanks - 1394 apparently enabled but I tried a repair anyway - got message saying Windows could not finish repair as TCP/IP not enabled for this connectin?????

johnnyrocker 11:15 22 Mar 2006

i would suggest disable it then reboot and see what happens if it does not auto enable then try manual enable.

johnny.

the-emsworth-kid 12:47 22 Mar 2006

Sorry to be dense but do you mean disable 1394 before the reboot or TCP/IP - which I wouldn't know how to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?