1394 connection

bosc 21:51 18 Nov 2005

hey im got a question and i hope someone can help me out. I just got a dell desktop and the dell has 1394 connection in the back of computer. Im well aware that it is a firewire port, but i was wondering if there is any way that i can use that port so that it connects to the internet via broadband. By this i mean to get it to work like "local area network". If anyone knows the answer please post it. Thanks.

mgmcc 21:57 18 Nov 2005

The simple answer is "No". Although you can network PCs over a Firewire connection, you wouldn't be able to connect to either a broadband modem or a router for internet access with Firewire. In any case, there wouldn't be any merit in being able to do so in preference to ethernet, which is the technology designed for networking (which internet access is).

bosc 05:28 19 Nov 2005

Hey man thanks for the help. i think i figured out what was wrong. First I may still be confused but a firewire and an ethernet port should look the same right. Well all you had to do was go to dell and download the network drivers for xp. It made my firewire into an ethernet port. And if the ports didnt look the same than that just means that I didnt have the drivers in the first place. thanks anyways.

mgmcc 09:35 19 Nov 2005

<<< First I may still be confused but a firewire and an ethernet port should look the same right. >>>

No, a Firewire port looks more like a USB port if anything. It has a similar centrally mounted 'board' with connectors on. An RJ45 "ethernet" port is similar to, but larger than, the RJ11 MODEM port.

<<< It made my firewire into an ethernet port >>>

I think that is most unlikely ???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?