127.0.0.1.(localhost)blocked connection attempts

romanab 17:38 17 Feb 2004

My firewall(f-secure internet shield)is repeatedly logging blocked connection attempts from 127.0.0.1 (localhost).This seems strange as I know localhost is internal of my machine,it tries to connect to a different port each time(usually 1000 or above)and is always blocked.I have been told this is something called multiproxy which is installed on my p.c.to route my connection through anonymous servers?this is all gobledegook to me as I have no knowledge of this at all.It used to happen occasionally but now it is every few seconds.I run xp home and have recently reinstalled it but this was happening before and after.Could anyone put my mind at rest about this.Much appreciated CHEERS

romanab 18:27 17 Feb 2004

no ideas anyone

Gaz 25 19:11 17 Feb 2004

most likely is your multi proxy thingie, cannot see why you need it anyway really.

romanab 19:50 17 Feb 2004

If I don't need"multi proxy thingy"how would I get rid of?

Kitz E Kat 20:05 17 Feb 2004

If you turn of "MultiProxy" it should not try to connect...
If you want to unistall it , go to programs, and Multiproxy and click on uninstall, that will do it..

By the sound of it , and i could be wrong, you might not have multiproxy either installed or running, as it's not the sort of thing you "inadvertantly" install and configure..

How did you come to the conclusion that it is MultiProxy?

romanab 18:17 18 Feb 2004

It was mentioned in a different forum,I have never even heard of multiproxy so I think you are almost certainly right,but that leaves me none the wiser.If anyone has any other ideas that would be great..........cheers all

romanab 20:05 18 Feb 2004

there are hundreds of these attempts........I hate 127.0.0.1

Kitz E Kat 20:53 18 Feb 2004

Have you tried running Spybot or the like...
Can your firewll tell you the process that is trying to connect, it should be able to..
It could well be an innocent proggie trying to access the net..
A good firewall should be able to tell you the name of the proggie trying to connect , so have a look and see if there's a setting / tab , which will give you this info...
I am unfamilliar with your firewall, i am sure somebody here know's it , inside out !!!!!
Also there should be a setting which lets you block the connection once and it will always block it , without annoying you again and again, as it clearly is!!!

Keep posting...

romanab 21:01 18 Feb 2004

As it is logged as an inbound attempt the only information it gives is remote address 127.0.0.1 and DNS local host.

romanab 21:03 18 Feb 2004

Sorry,I have spyware blaster and adaware installed.

Kitz E Kat 21:57 18 Feb 2004

Did you say an "inbound" attempt?
What is your setup?
Are you on ADSL, Cable, ?
Are you using DHCP , IE is your ISP giving you an IP addie?
I suspect that all is OK....
Thats' the DNS bit just doin it job.....
It sounds to me like your box is only trying to communicate with the server ( your ISP) and saying "hello" i am still here !!! They do that !! :-) and vise versa....

If you have a firewll and a good AV package and keep up to date with your XP security patch's you should be OK...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?