110v ?

7 11:20 30 Jun 2007

I have bought few electronic equipments from USA and it states 110v on all those equipments. Kindly let me know how should I run them in UK on 220v.thank you

Jackcoms 11:29 30 Jun 2007

Go to an electrical store and purchase a 220v -110v converter (if such a thing exists).

Otherwise, return the "electronic equipments" to the USA and ask yourself why you purchased items which run on a totally different voltage to that which is standard in the UK

Stuartli 11:31 30 Jun 2007

You'll probably have to use a 110/220 or 240 voltage converter such as:

click here

Stuartli 11:32 30 Jun 2007

If the items include a laptop, a number of these are able to switch the voltage automatically, but you would have to check it out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 30 Jun 2007
  J B 11:40 30 Jun 2007

there is a solution, Buy a transformer and wire it in to your house, or as a easier way position the transformer near a power socket and use your equipment from there. Go for a 2000 watt with two 110 plug-ins and you will be safe. You also might nees 110 volt extension cords. Bear in mind that with 110 volt extension cords that you cannot plug one into the other for extended length, get the right length for your purposes. J.B.

€dstowe 11:45 30 Jun 2007

Some electrical equipment relies on the mains frequency for timing purposes (e.g. televisions, VCRs etc). Note that the Americas use 60Hz whereas the UK and Europe are 50Hz.

kjrider 12:12 30 Jun 2007

If its low power, a converter will do it. If it is two items, like lights or motors, then you could wire them up in series for 240volts.

If it is big like a dishwasher, then you really need a heavy duty power supply.

p;3 12:17 30 Jun 2007

sounds as if , if you bought sumunt over there hoping it to be cheeper than here(?) you will pay more now with all the gadgetry required to run it over here ;if you are travelling back TO the USA shortly and have the guarantess( if that will work) you may be better off taking them back?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?