1&1 Home package and URL from another package

S2000 11:38 05 Nov 2005

Hi I could really do with some help here which I just don't seem to be able to get from 1&1. I have been sold 2 separate packages from them. Package A is two domain names; package B is their home package. I simply want to see the 2 domain names of package A when I am working with package B as I want to use one of those domain names as my URL. Same company, same geographical storage location. How difficult can that be?

Forum Editor 13:10 05 Nov 2005

you have purchased two 'packages'. If you bought two domain names, and have one of them hosted, you can point the second domain name to it.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick - in which case perhaps you can supply more information?

spuds 13:16 05 Nov 2005

I assume that you have purchased 2 basic domain names as 'package A', and a hosting programme as 'package B'. Shouldn't be difficult, use control panel.

If you have purchased 'package B' hosting programme with a 'free' domain name, then things maybe slightly more difficult.

What did 1&1 advice!.

S2000 16:26 05 Nov 2005

Thanks for your responses. Like you both suggest I don't see why either. The first package contains a .com extension so I want to use this as the primary site url for everything with the others just pointing to this. I spoke to 1&1 three times and was told, three times, that I had to use control panel to transfer these to package B at a cost of around £10 (The same cost as buying them new). Now this I could understand if I were transfrerring from another registrar but they're both with 1&1 so it seems ridiculous. You, however, both indicate categorically that I can; which is heartening at least. If I went to control and pointed the 2 package A URls to package B somehow, when I go to package B they will both be available in the drop down lists. Is that the case? If so my final question should be, what exactly do I point them to - what data should I type in the box? Can't begin to tell you how gratifying it is to find some help. I don't doubt that as a process this is actually all a piece of cake. Its just finding someone with the ability to show you properly in the first place. Kind regards

Forum Editor 14:15 06 Nov 2005

exactly what it is you want to do with these names.

If you want to use one of the domain names for a website, and you want the other name to point to it (that is, when you type the second name into a browser you want the site that's on the first name to appear) then you must have the first name hosted. That means that you have a hosting package in that name. Then you can arrange for the ohter name to point to it. You can do that very easily in your control panel, and 1&1 will tell you how to do it if you have problems.

I don't have an account with 1&1 (although I used to, at one point), so I can't access a control panel to give you a step by step guide. I found the 1&1 custopmer service people pretty helpful however.

S2000 10:00 07 Nov 2005

Many thanks that's nice and concise I feel we're almost there now so as you suggest I'll tell you exactly what I want to do.
1. Package A = 2 domains. Granthamhypnotherapy.com and granthamhypnotherapy.co.uk no web space

2. Package B = a web hosted site - home package -comes with a free .co.uk url and now has name of lincolnshirehypnotherapy.co.uk

Both seaprate packages.

i want the site to be known as granthamhypnotherapy.com and no matter what anyone does or finds in a seach - that name always appears as the url.

Sadly my expereinces with 1&1 have not been so fotrunate as yours. Thier package is good but heir support seems inadequate and disinterested. There are quite a few people saying that it may be that your extant knowledge made things easier perhaps ?

Thanks for you time ad help

hargranules 14:10 13 Jun 2006

Hi I work in It and have been asked to help someone set up a website. The only experience I have is uploading details to my old website but I did not build it, just regularily updated it using cute ftp.

My questions are:

Where should i purchase domain names from.

Who would be a good web hosing company

How do i know how much space i need

What is a good (free) program to design website with.

I really want to be able to do this but I am a bit lost at the mo, there are so many different companies out there.

Thanks in advance for your help

spuds 15:51 13 Jun 2006

It is best to start your own thread, hijacking this thread will most probably bring you limited results, considering all that you are requesting.

hargranules 18:07 13 Jun 2006

oops sorry mean't to start new thread. Wondered why i got no replies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)