10/100 PCI NIC question for novice?

  JUSZO 14:07 30 Jan 2003

Hi there....again!!!
My PC has a 10/100 PCI NIC installed. I have never used it and must admit to not having a clue what it is for or how it can benefit me. I know it is something to do with networks but there my expertise ends. My daughter has an old "tiny" pentium pc...is this some gadget to connect them, and if so, what else would i need. I have broadband so it would be good to let her access it from her pc. Any ideas or advice, very very welcome.Thanks for stopping by.

  billyliv 14:14 30 Jan 2003

Hi, Your daughters' machine will have to have a 10/100 NIC card fitted. (It may be there already) You will then need a Networking crossover cable to connect the two machines. You dont say if your broadband is Cable. If it is you will need a Router and another 10/100 NIC card fitted to your machine. Cheers, Bill.

  jazzypop 14:17 30 Jan 2003

On it's own, your NIC (Network Interface Card) has no use.

If you install one in your daughter's PC, and connect them with a length of Ethernet cable, wired as a crossover cable, you will have a network for sharing files, access to a single printer, or playing multi-player games.

You can also use it to share broadband (or dial-up) access. See click here for how to network

  JUSZO 14:24 30 Jan 2003

thanks guys....in your debt as usual.

  HFC 14:36 30 Jan 2003

The last response was of course spot on, but I suspect you might need some of it explained. I am not an expert and approached the problem the same as yourself, so I needed it explained simply.

You have indeed a network card and to connect two PC's together both will have to have one (you can get them from about £9). Joining the two together is dependant upon a few factors:

If you have a cable modem connected to your PC by USB then you can join the two together by a RJ45 cable (the crossover cable referred to - costs about £1 per metre made up, more expensive in PC world) which goes from your main PC to a Router (or as I used a HUB, a four point one bought from PC world for about £30. NB The Router is similar but more expensive and does add considerably to the security of your PC's. Remember, what you transfer between your PC with a HUB also goes out to the wide world as well. I used one because I'm not too paranoid and it was a cheaper solution at present). Another RJ45 Cable then goes to your other PC's Network Card (the 10/100).

You then set up the network connections between them (how to do this is dependant upon OS's)

If, however, you have your Broadband directly in through the Network card and not the USB, you need a second netwok card to connect the two, but on the plus side don't need the HUB or Router, just the RJ Cable.

Once set up both PC's can share the Broadband connection.

Hope this helps to get you started. Note, everyone will be horrified that I suggest a HUB rather than a Router. A Routher is better but much more expensive

  HFC 14:40 30 Jan 2003

Sorry JUSZO, by the time I responded so had others, and better for it.

  jazzypop 14:53 30 Jan 2003

The link I gave above seems to be 'down' at the moment. Just try again later, it will re-appear.

  JUSZO 14:54 30 Jan 2003

Thanks HFC....

  Rogerfredo 17:05 30 Jan 2003

Surely HFC, if you use a router, you need a non cross over cable from PC to router?
Also, if you have NTL broadband modem, you will probably have a great deal of problems getting the other PC to access the internet, without using some NAT software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires