100% CPU usage in Firefox 1.5.0.1

CurlyWhirly 15:10 05 Mar 2006

Does anybody get the above when using the latest version of Firefox?

I have even run Firefox in 'safe mode' but it is still the same after several hours of browsing.

I don't think it's a memory leak though as Firefox usually keeps RAM usage between 100 Mb and 150 Mb which is supposed to be normal memory usage?

I have found that the only way to cure the problem is to shut it down and restart it.

While CPU usage is so high, opening and closing web pages is very slow so it isn't something that I can put up with, apart from the fact that my processor is working flat out which can't be beneficial to it due to the rising temperatures especially in the summer months!

CurlyWhirly 15:16 05 Mar 2006

click here

Above is what I get regularly.
I was going to go back to version 1.5 but that has security issues!

flimbo 15:21 05 Mar 2006

Have you tried posting in the Firefox forums?
click here
Do you run have the Adblock extension installed in Firefox? This has been known to cause problems like yours.

Stuartli 15:21 05 Mar 2006

I also have FF 1.5.0.1 and have just tested the CPU usage when switching or reloading pages.

It hits 100 per cent temporarily and then varies betweeen five and 40+ per cent with Thunderbird and two FF pages open and nothing being done.

See System Idle Process from this link at Black Viper's website for reassurance:

click here

CurlyWhirly 15:29 05 Mar 2006

Flimbo - I used to have both IE Tab and Coloured Tab but I have since uninstalled these Extensions.
I never used AdBlock.

Stuartli - In my case the firefox.exe process stays at 100%.
If it went down after a few seconds then I wouldn't worry!

It's not a big deal as I can just close it and reopen it but I'm just posting this to see if anyone else experiences the same problem as me.

CurlyWhirly 22:03 05 Mar 2006

I'll continue to close it down and restart it again when it becomes slow.

Not the end of the world!

DieSse 22:19 05 Mar 2006

My CPU useage is minute with the same version. Firefox is known to have a memory useage issue - but it's really supposedly just cache handling. I have mine set to clear the cache when FF is closed, and have never seen any performance or excessive useage problems.

dogbreath1 22:49 05 Mar 2006

I have the same version of FF. I have Adblock installed as well. My cpu usage is typically between 2-5% whilst browsing in FF except when I browse on ONE particular site which seems to be designed for viewing in IE (it also happens to be my most frequently visited site!!). On that site (strangely only part of it) I can get a cpu usage up to 45% and very occasionally a number of images delay in being rendered. As far as cache handling goes, there is a cache handling extension for FF which displays the used and total available RAM Cache and Disc Cache (at the foot of a web page) giving the option (right click) to clear one or both. This won't solve your problem but will hopefully demonstrate that it's not an inherently FF one. ;-))

CurlyWhirly 18:42 06 Mar 2006

DieSse - "I have mine set to clear the cache when FF is closed"

How do I set Firefox to do that?
I have been to the cache option and cleared the cache but your way is easier as it saves having to do it manually.

CurlyWhirly 18:46 06 Mar 2006

dogbreath1 - I searched for the cache handling extension for FF but I couldn't find it!

Not to worry ;)

octal 19:24 06 Mar 2006

In preferences click on the Cache tab and at the bottom there's a radio button called Settings... its in there to clear private data on FF closure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?