100 % CPU -LSASS

livewire 21:40 08 Feb 2005

LSASS.exe keeps using up 100% of my CPU for no paticular reason.

I have checked all common causes incluidng Spyware and the like and all has been reported as OK.

I cant seem to figure it out?? There are no unusual services or processes running and seems to occur randomly- even when no on the internet.

Strange...
Any ideas?

Alan H E 21:47 08 Feb 2005

What have you checked so far and what spyware & AV software have you used?

Alan H E 22:00 08 Feb 2005

Another thought have you got a firewall? Do you know if it is trying to access the net?

livewire 22:03 08 Feb 2005

At the moment I have Checked with:

Ad-aware and Microsoft AntiSpyware.

My Real-time Scanners include:

Norton Internet Security 2004 Professional, Prevx Home and Microsoft AntiSpyware.

All have Real-time scnnaer and are all up to date. My last virus scan was 2 days Ago - No Probs. Spyware scans have only turfed up 4 bad cookies..

stalion 22:05 08 Feb 2005

scan with this I think you have the sasser worm in your systemclick here

livewire 22:06 08 Feb 2005

LSASS does not appear to be accessing the internet acording to the NIS Network Statistics window...

Alan H E 22:06 08 Feb 2005

put lsass.exe into google you have an infection!

livewire 22:07 08 Feb 2005

lsass - lsass.exe - Process Information

Process File: lsass or lsass.exe
Process Name: Local Security Authority Service

Description:
lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies. Note: lsass.exe also relates to the Windang.worm, irc.ratsou.b, Webus.B, MyDoom.L, Randex.AR, Nimos.worm which spread via floppy disk drives, mass-mailing and peer-to-peer sharing. Please review file path for clarification of this.

Isn't this a Genuine process?

livewire 22:09 08 Feb 2005

I dont have the Sasser virus acording to Norton and I have not expirenced the RPC vulnerabillity????

Alan H E 00:19 09 Feb 2005

Have you tried Stalion's suggestion - one of the effects mentioned re Sasser is denial of service I think = you could try Symantecs web site they might have a removal tool for sasser.

Alan H E 10:14 09 Feb 2005

Have now found more info. As your AV doesn't show it check windows folder for aserve.exe or aserve2.exe if there go to securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.removal.tool.html . After that is done go to click here .Download & apply patch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?