10 - 15 mins to hook upto the Internet!

Rickyv 20:17 06 Dec 2003

I took advice to use my Mesh recovery disk and ended up with a lot of problems. These have nearly all been sorted out. I had lost my broadband connection, but a guy at Mesh's support (£1 per min) sorted it out (in 15 mins). However, when I open IE6 and click on connect I get almost instant connection, but no page loads in IE6 for 10 minutes. I have tried many things (as advised on here), but none work. During the problems I had, the guy from Mesh took me into the registry (HKey something or another) and made several changes there. I wonder whether this has resulted in my problem. Any ideas??? This problem seems to have baffled everyone!!

Forum Editor 20:35 06 Dec 2003

Who is your broadband ISP? Presumably you have a modem software CD? In that case it's simply a question of running the modem software, connecting the modem, and entering your username and password - there should be no need to go delving into the registry at all.

In any event, I assume that you now have a connection showing in your network connections - are you using Windows XP by the way? My advice is that you reinstall Internet explorer - you should find a setup icon if you go to C:\program files\internet explorer.

Try that, and see what happens.

Rickyv 21:00 06 Dec 2003

I am using an Alcatel speedtouch USB modem and freeserve. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the broadband software 3 times, to no avail. It is strange that i get dial-up straight away, IE6 doesnt hook up. The home page (i've tried many different ones) takes 10 mins and then suddenly appears. From then on everything is fine till i log off.

I am not sure how to go about reinstalling IE6. Could you give more details, please? Thanks!

woodchip 21:06 06 Dec 2003

AS I said before try Netscape 7

Rickyv 21:46 06 Dec 2003

If i downloaded netscape, will i loose my outlook express connection/e-mail address?

Rickyv 21:46 06 Dec 2003

If i downloaded netscape, will i loose my outlook express connection/e-mail address?

woodchip 23:04 11 Dec 2003

no

nyleridedog 23:26 11 Dec 2003

Give this a try

in IE goto>tools>internet options>connections>lan settings........and see if auto detect settings in ticked if so take out the tick!
worked with my braodband (by) but dont know if bt broadband internet is classed as a lan?

cheers

Rickyv 20:08 12 Dec 2003

That box wasn't checked, but both the proxy server boxes are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?