1 terabyte hard drive turns into a 30 mb hard drive

m94 15:04 05 Mar 2014

My 1 terabyte hard drive which had about 700 gb of files on it has turned into a 30mb (RAW file system) drive. When trying to access it says that it needs to be formatted before usage which i dont want to do since like i said i have 700gb of files on it. I tried to recover files from it using the partition wizard, acronis disk director with no luck. The most interesting thing happens when i try to recover the files with the easeus data recovery wizard, it somehow pulled a 700mb file from it, even though it says it has a 30 mb capacity. If all else fails i will try formating it, and hopefully that would at least i will get my drive back. I have searched online for a solution and found some solutions for retrieving from a RAW file system but as far as i can see nobody had the 30mb thing. Can anyone help me?

jaywoo 18:44 05 Mar 2014

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 30mb thing - the partition table is evidently damaged and just happens to report the drive capacity incorrectly.

If you can use another drive to take a complete backup of the existing damaged drive before you attempt any repairs that would be good, otherwise you'll have to risk damaging things further.

Not sure if you meant Partition Wizard Home Edition but that has a data/partition recovery facility, there's also TestDisk, which is very powerful but command line only. It can attempt partition table repairs though, it might be worth a try.

Here's a good guide to using Testdisk.

If nothing else works and you're desperate for data off the drive, RunTime GetDataBack is a very thorough recovery tool, but costs $79. The trial will at least reveal all kinds of information about the drive and whether there is in fact any recognisable data on it to be recovered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?