1 monitor for 2 pc's

pookie 15:01 26 Sep 2003

hi

can you get a cable/adapter that will allow 2 computers to be connected to the same monitor?

thanks

P

Simsy 15:05 26 Sep 2003

a switchbox so that it looks at one computer or the other.... obviously not both at the same time.

Regards,

Simsy

CLF99 15:14 26 Sep 2003

Hi

I enquired about this at local shop last week.

For around £15 I could get a basic switch box, but I think you have to turn one pc off, flick the switch, and then turn on other pc.

For £40-60 I could get one that flips between two PCs both on at the same time. This box also meant that you could use the same keyboard & mouse I think.

I opted for neither as I was being lazy - only needed it whilst configuring new pc!

Hope that helped.

CLF

MAJ 15:17 26 Sep 2003

The more expensive ones CLF99 mentioned are called KVM swithes and can be bought from Maplins. click here Enter KVM switch into their little site search field.

i use a reasonably cheap Belkin 'omniview'KVM switch (23 quid) which i bought from dabs it works very well with a combination of win98 and XP, thoroughly recommend it.

Lead 15:25 26 Sep 2003

Try this click here

Looks ok for £35

pookie 15:46 26 Sep 2003

many, many thanks - this is excellent

P

geeuk 15:54 26 Sep 2003

Hi

A KVM Switch lets you use one monitor, one keyboard and one mouse and have multiple computers running of them. I have a 4 port kvm switch and all 4 pcs are running at the same time. I just keep pressing a button untill the right computer comes and screen do some work and them move on to the next. You can buy 2 port kvm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?