1 Ethernet cable to provide 2 devices a int conn

FatboySlim71 21:36 16 Aug 2010

I have just got a new tv and it came with a Blu Ray player. Both devices have features on them such has on demand tv services and more, that require a Internet connection. In the room where the tv and blu ray player are located, is a Ethernet cable that is connect to my Netgear DG834GT.

I was wondering if there is such an adapter whereby I could connect the Ethernet cable (that comes from my Netgear DG834GT), into it at one side and then on the other side it would then have 2 Ethernet ports whereby I could connect a ethernet cable from the blu ray player and also the tv. Basically a 1 in 2 out adapter.

FatboySlim71 21:38 16 Aug 2010

I should have said that it is not possible to run an additional Ethernet cable into the room from the netgear DG834GT.

Tim1964 21:55 16 Aug 2010

An ethernet switch such as this click here

FatboySlim71 23:18 16 Aug 2010

Thanks Tim I'll have a look at that.

FatboySlim71 07:40 17 Aug 2010

I was wondering Tim, if you have any experience of use of the product you mentioned in your link?

Its just I was wondering with this ethernet switch/switcher having 5 ports, would the internet connection speed that I get, would it be then divided and thus reduced, for example if I was getting 5 meg prior to using this switcher, would using the switcher mean that it would be reduced to 1 meg for each of the 5 ports. Or would each device that used the internet connection get the same speed has it ordinarily would if it was connected directly to my Netgear DG 834GT modem/router?

In my uses, I would only be using one device at a time that would use a internet connection though.

dms_05 10:55 17 Aug 2010

The Ethernet switch simply allows you to have a number of different devices attached at the same time. This won't effect you Internet speed unless more than one device is sending/receiving data at the same time when you may see some change.

For example I have connected an Ethernet switch to my router as well as my laptop and desktop. The switch has several devices connected including my Sky+ HD box. In addition I have a netbook and an Android phone which connect by wireless to the same router. I can easily have 5 devices working at the same time. The only time I see any real effect is if I am downloading a very big file (say a 700 MB iso) and then the other devices seem slower whilst this download is occurring.

FatboySlim71 22:18 17 Aug 2010

Thanks everyone for the help its much appreciated.

I popped into my local computer/computer accessories shop this afternoon and disgust what I was wanted to do.

In the end I purchased a Belkin 8-Port Gigabit Switch.

I fetched it home, and connected it to the ethernet cable that comes from my Netgear DG834GT, I then connected the three RJ 45 Ethernet cables (that I also purchased) to the Blu Ray player, TV, PS3. I then tried each one of them separately and I was able to go online with the devices. No settings of anything to alter etc, it was just plug in and play.

Thanks again for the help everyone its appreciated.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?