1-2-3 printing problem -- "no default printer .."

stlucia2 12:28 07 Jan 2011

I've just gone to print a worksheet from Lotus 1-2-3 and it's giving me an error message, "No default printer is selected. Check to make sure that the printer driver is installed and selected ..."

This issue has come out of the blue, and my printer (Epson Stylus Photo 870 connected through USB) still works with other applications on the same PC.

Looking at my Device Manager I see a yellow ? against Other Devices/Unknown Device. I don't know if that's referring to my printer, but going through the Reinstall Driver routine results in a dead-end with a Cannot Install this Hardware message. It still doesn't say what the hardware is.

The Lotus help pages says I should be able to select a printer using the Print or Print Preview menus, but each of these just give me the above-mentioned error message, and no option to select a printer.

My PC is an HP Pavilion running Windows XP. Any ideas how I can get Lotus printing again, please, short of completely reinstalling it?

stlucia2 12:53 07 Jan 2011

I think the Device Manager ? is a red herring, for I've now checked with two other softwares on my PC, and they're printing normally, with the Epson coming up as the default printer as it always has.

northumbria61 13:05 07 Jan 2011

Hi - I don't use Lotus but have a look here and scroll down through the posts - last two may have a solution - click here

T0SH 15:59 07 Jan 2011

In Windows printers do not and never have show in device manager

dependant on your version of windows they will show up in

Win XP 2000 Printers and Faxes

Win Vista Seven Devices and Printers

Cheers HC

john bunyan 16:29 07 Jan 2011

As W7 does not like 123 I reluctantly stopped using it and am struggling with Excel and Lotus Symphony. I wonder if you have tried saving a 123 spreadsheet in Excel format? I used to do this to save stuff I need now. If it prints in that format at least you will have narrowed the field.

northumbria61 19:22 07 Jan 2011

TOSH - "In Windows printers do not and never have show in device manager"

If using a USB Printer it will show up under USB controllers in Device Manager but I agree there is no specific heading for Printers in Device Manager.

stlucia2 19:41 07 Jan 2011

Well, I've saved one of my 1-2-3 spreadsheets as an .XLS file, and then opened it using MS Excel Viewer, and it prints ok from there. So it's definately the Lotus 1-2-3 software, not the spreadsheet files. And at least I've got a work-around if I really need to print something.

My printer, plus a .pdf virtual printer, both show up in Printers and Faxes, as they should, with no errors flagged.

Strangely, I can't find any Lotus option for selecting a default printer because, according to the Help file, I can only get there by going through the Print or Print Preview menu ... but they don't display because of the above-mentioned error message! So, unless there's any other ideas, it's an uninstall and re-install :-(

woodchip 19:44 07 Jan 2011

In Device Manager Click on the Yellow Icon and then choose uninstall, Restart your PC

stlucia2 08:03 08 Jan 2011

Thanks, woodchip, that's got rid of the yellow ? without any adverse affect.

jack O'lantern 09:10 08 Jan 2011

Now quite old and W7
As the printer functions via other applications there appears to ne nothing amiss generally as you stated.
So when you wish to print a Lotus image[for that is what it is in printing terms]instead of using Lotus/file/print command, try in stead the old Keyboard short cut
Ctrl/P
Which is a direct to printer command.

john bunyan 09:54 08 Jan 2011

stlucia2
is using XP, as was I when I last used Lotus 123. It does not work with W7 (towhich I swapped a year ago)so I am trying to learn Excel and Lotus Symphony.I much regret this incompatability as I used 123 and ite predecessors for over 20 years and could instinctively write complicated macros etc. Excel seems more complicated and whereas 123 can save in .xls, Excel cannot read 123.
I hope stlucia2 solves it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?