1 and 1 slow amending.

nick_j007 14:35 27 Nov 2006

Hi all,

I have a home package with click here (1and1). When making changes online I find it very slow, and will often crash as I want to publish a few changes...infuriating! It is often like this.

I have spoken to someone on the help desk today, and we discussed pop up blockers (I have them off) and he said he would do something his end.
It does seem a little better but only a little, and yet again I have come out after getting fed up with it all.

Might my Firewall (built into wireless router) or AV (Avast!)have anything to do with it?

Thank you.

Nick

acsmanhtml12 17:08 27 Nov 2006

If you're going online then it might be. Did they provide you with dorect FTP details? If they did then use them with a free FTP program. If not route around in your firewall options and allow connections to/from the IP address used. It can't be anything to do with Avast, unless you use an e-mail interface then that's the onlyreason can ber slow. Avast may be scanning all outgoing files.

nick_j007 20:08 27 Nov 2006

Many thanks for looking in.

I have spoken to 1and1 yet again today, and to my astonishment I was told that there was little he could do and would pass my comments on to the correct dept.!
It would seem according to what he said that I am not alone in this way and others have commented too.
The way I amend my site is to log in to 1and1 then do it all online...if that makes sense?

Nick

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:04 28 Nov 2006

for four years and never had trouble uploading whole sites, or alterations. FTP is the easiest. I've never tried doing it directly online, can't see the point in that.

I would guess that it is definately something at your end, and not at the 1&1 servers.

Good luck anyway, although they provide excellent hosting, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired!

nick_j007 09:15 28 Nov 2006

Thanks for that.

I shall have a look now but how do I do it via ftp?? Is that an option to me on this home package?

If it's something my end then what could it be?

I have a new Dell 9150 that is clean and powerful on Xp.

Thanks.

Nick

nick_j007 09:38 28 Nov 2006

I have turned the Firewall off for the duration of going in to make my changes and all seems much smoother now!

I shall let you know if things go 'wrong' again.

Nick

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:36 28 Nov 2006

FTP application try Filezilla. It's the simplest one I've used from what's available.

Normally you should be able to do it from your web design software if it was supplied by 1&1 (NOFusion)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?