0xc0000142 and Windows 7 upgrade

Beverley Stevens 12:20 17 Nov 2009

I bought and ran a Registry cleaner from Uniblue. First time I booted up after running it and tried to start Internet Explorer I got a message that it incorrectly installed (0xc0000142) since then the computer has steadily got worse. I have tried as many help sites as I can find, including Microsoft, tried many recomended fixes, all useless. I am thinking of upgrading from XP to Windows 7 to have a fresh start. My worry is that if I buy the upgrade will the problem still be there? do I have to buy the full version ?

Bev

Lio 12:37 17 Nov 2009

As the upgrade to Win 7 from XP involves a clean install, you shouldn't have the problem if you go ahead

Zeppelyn 12:39 17 Nov 2009

No you dont have to buy the full version as already having XP qualifies you for the upgrade. You cant upgrade XP to 7 directly tho and will have to perform a clean install of Windows 7.

Therefore you will need to back up all your documents etc to an external disk or flash disk.

Click here for a guide:-

click here

Zeppelyn 12:44 17 Nov 2009

In the meantime most of these Registry Cleaners usually offer to perform a registry back up, if so and if you did back up you could restore that to get Xp working properly. Another option is to use System Restore to restore your PC back to how it was before using Uniblue, thats if it works of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?