0x000000f4 on a laptop and blue screen

Migwell 23:43 12 Mar 2008

A friends laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 1300 will not boot into windows. It tells me to try f8 options which it won't do. There are no Dell disks but he has tried booting up with a windows disk in the cd drive and it takes him into the computer as if everything is OK. After a couple of minutes it just goes back to the blue screen where it is dumping the memory. Even while into Windows via the cd and trying a system restore it gets half way through and back to the blue screen and 0x000000f4. it seems to be just a vicious circle with out any proper outcome. We were also hoping to see the part on the windows cd that let you repair the thing but as yet the only part of that was the option to format and install windows.

Can anyone make any sort of suggestion wat is wrong and how to fix it.

johnnyrocker 23:47 12 Mar 2008

try click here=

johnny

Migwell 23:46 21 Mar 2008

I still am no further forward. Still getting bsod. Still can't use F8, starting to think that a format and a new install of win xp might be best. Have tried CTRL and F11 as Dell would have you do to return the computer back to factory spec.
How do I go about formating the whole drive and installing XP on this computer?

Migwell 20:02 22 Mar 2008

bump

Migwell 23:29 28 Mar 2008

Sorted!

Took out hard drive and formatted it and removed the partitons. Installed new windows and programs includind latest versions of drivers.

BINGO it is sorted.

woodchip 23:30 28 Mar 2008

Have you tried tapping F5 as computer starts?

Migwell 09:17 11 Apr 2008

Now fixed.

It was a faulty DVD Drive. I took a gamble and replaced the DVD with a CD ROM bought over ebay for £4.00, as it will never be used to copy disks etc. and it worked fine first time. I tried the DVD in it again and back it was back to square one. So back to the CD and all was well. This computer was faulty when it arrived from Dell and should have been sent straight back but it wasn't and now it is well out of guarantee. It was up to the owner who seemed happy to use it as a paper weight, instead of what it was bought for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017