0871 internet phone numbers

the hick 09:58 21 Jun 2006

Does anyone know any reasons why my PC has started dialling 0871 internet numbers? Its very odd, on my phone bill, some are only a few seconds long, and some a couple of minutes. I'm fairly sure some are dialled when the PC is off. I'm puzzled by it. Any advice greatly appreciated.

spuds 11:01 21 Jun 2006

Could be a number of reasons. Dialler on your system, or more sinister, someone using a link via your telephone supply line.

I had a similar problem once with suspect phone calls and an increased payment demand. In my case BT did a 'thorough investigation', but came up with nothing really. At that time, there was engineers working on the telephone lines in the area, and my unfounded suspicions about that activity came to nothing. Funny really, the problem soon cleared up after my complaint.

Would suggest, the few seconds could be an 'handshake'.

Have you notified your supplier, or perhaps tried one of the suspect numbers.Best to leave your supplier to trace the number, just in case!.

spuds 11:06 21 Jun 2006

As an afterthought, you could perhaps do a check, using click here

Fellsider 15:15 21 Jun 2006

This list:-

click here

may give an idea of who is being called,
look for the 871's (i.e. drop the leading 0).

If you think that there are calls made when the PC is switched off, disconnect it from the telephone line when not in use -- If it ain't connected it will have great difficulty calling out.

bluto1 19:51 21 Jun 2006

Bookmarked, thanks pals

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone