0.25mbps broadband?

SirMetal 06:41 08 Apr 2010

Hey guys,

My families internet speed has never been lightning fast, for example, we usually get around 1.5mbps and we are on an 8mbps package with BT.

Just recently however, for the past week, it has been crawling along veryyyy slowly... sometimes reaching as little as 0.10mbps... now that to me seems slower than dial-up.

YouTube video is out of the question, it will load about 5 seconds worth of content in about 20 - 30 seconds (at the lowest 360p quality).

We have tried several times resetting the hub to see whether it would make a difference; it hasn't.

I don't see the use in calling up BT as I know it will go back to normal as soon as I get off the phone to them. All they'd tell us anyway is that they're probably doing some tests around our area.

I don't really trust them though, so I thought I would come to you guys to ask your onion.

I live in Oxford which is fairly advanced in the computing department, now seeing as I'm not in a rural area what could be causing such a slowdown?

Thanks in advance!

C,

SirMetal 06:43 08 Apr 2010

Terrible typo, I apologise.

C,

KremmenUK 07:08 08 Apr 2010

1.5 isn't that clever. First option is to change to the OpenDNS servers to rule out BT's server then consider switching to O2 if they operate LLU from your exchange.

The SamKnows website will tell you who operates in your area.

SirMetal 22:36 08 Apr 2010

OpenDNS?

C,

mgmcc 22:45 08 Apr 2010

In the TCP/IP Properties of your network adapter ("Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection") select the option to "Use the following DNS Server addresses" and enter those of OpenDNS:

OpenDNS website - click here

Terry Brown 22:47 08 Apr 2010

Questions.

1-- Are you on a monthly limit, if so is that nearly used up?.

2--Is this a wireless connection, if so- is someone else 'tapping in'. (using your connection without paying for it)

3--How many computers are actually drawing bandwidth at any one time.

4--Could you have a program (like NCH broadband manager), that creates it's own connection, and leaves you with very little badwidth.

5--It is possible you have a trogan, that is 'stealing ' your bandwidth and who knows what else.

6-- Is this at all times or only certain parts of the day /night

Terry

SirMetal 22:52 08 Apr 2010

1 -- We are on a Unlimited plan with BT.

2 -- We are using wireless, yet we have a WEP key and there are no dodgy vans around outside and every house on our street has net access so I doubt anyone is doing that.

3 -- We have a maximum of four laptops using it at any one time, however I stay up later than my family so it is just me at night and I get a maximum of 0.30mbps... so imagine what it's like with four laptops using it.

4 -- I look after and maintain all of the laptops in our household; each has MSE and we run virus scans frequently. Also, I know what programs each and every laptop has on it, so no dodgy software there.

5 -- Read above.

6 -- It's at all times of the day.

Bob Zimmerman 00:23 09 Apr 2010

You really ought to be using WPA encryption as WEP was cracked a long time ago & is almost as bad as having no encryption at all. Also use a non dictionary password. this site will generate a decent password.

click here

SirMetal 00:25 09 Apr 2010

How do you create a WPA key?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very knowledgeable about hardware, software and most other tech stuff, just not networking.

C,

[email protected] 00:57 09 Apr 2010

If you're using a BT Home Hub then look at click here

Otherwise, launch Command Prompt (press windows key and R, then type 'cmd' into the Run box and press enter), then type into command prompt 'ipconfig /all' [without the quote marks]

It will list lots of information for each network adapter, one of which will be called 'Default Gateway' and will have an IP address of the format 192.168.x.x

Type this address into the address bar of your web browser and this will take you to your router's config page where you will be able to change the wireless security settings. Your username and password are usually either on a sticker on the back of the router, or will be the factory default ones which can be found using a Google search if you have not manually set them yourself

KremmenUK 06:49 09 Apr 2010

As far as passwords go try to use an old memorable car registration number. They are not dictionary words, as mentioned above, and more difficult to crack having letters and numbers, and just for good measure chuck in a character somewhere (/?<>{'@]) etc.

The above advice re WEP to WPA is sound, WEP is unsafe.

As far as OpenDNS is concerned I'm finding that it is giving me an extra 0.5 Mbps speed over my ISP server route.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?