Which cpu/gpu combo would be best?

sezchwarn 18:03 03 Sep 2009

I want to get a laptop mainly for internet use and general home use, but may play some games on it also. I don't know which one of the following two to get though to enable the most games to be played...

CPU)2GHz Intel® Core# 2 Duo Mobile Processor P7350
GPU)ATI Mobility Radeon# HD 3470

or

CPU) Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo T5250 Processor: 1.5GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, FSB667MHz[LIST]
GPU) NVidia GeForce 8600M GS PCI-Express DirectX 10 Graphics Card with 512MB GDDR2 Memory

I know the processor isn't so good on the second one, but looking at system requirements of games suggests that the graphics card will be the weak link in both, so I should get the second one. Agree?

Also, out of interest, how would either of these compare to my old desktop which had a sempron 3100+ oc'd to 2.2ghz and an ati x800 gto?

Mr Mistoffelees 19:43 03 Sep 2009

I would go for the second one. The GPU in the first is not up to the job. A desktop 8600GS is a little faster than an ATI X800GTO so I would expect the mobile version to perform quite well.

citadel 20:23 03 Sep 2009

notebookcheck.net has a comparison list for laptop graphics cards, also fps for games. info on cpu's also.

sezchwarn 13:33 04 Sep 2009

Any idea what sort of games the 8600m would allow me to play? People on another forum advised I pay £100 more to get a pentium dual core 2ghz with an hd 4570 card, they said the 8600m gs has overheating problems.

Do you know anything about this? Is it worth paying the extra? (i only would if i would be very limited in what games i could play with the 8600m or if the 8600m does indeed have problems)

donki 11:06 08 Sep 2009

Its not a matter of what games you will be able to play, you will be able to play any game on the market its just a matter of will you be happy playing more demanding games at a lower detail setting.

I take it it has to be a laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?