Text Adventures

Lardy0 01:10 07 Feb 2010

Hello all,

Does anybody know if there is a site for playing old Text Adventure games on the PC? I'd particularly like to have a bash at the Infocom games, although any of worth would do.

I'm running Windows 7, don't know if that helps.

wolfie3000 08:44 07 Feb 2010

Try googling for MUD games, theres literally thousands to keep you entertained.

Lardy0 11:32 07 Feb 2010

Thanks for the reply, wolfie3000.

I was thinking more of the old Atari 800 / ZX Spectrum type games such as "The Pay Off" where your answers to puzzles were restricted to Verb/Noun actions, such as:

"There is a door to the East and a wall to the North", to which you would reply "Go Door". Very simple games but I liked to play them.

Any ideas along those lines would be gratefully received.

Proclaimer 23:20 06 Mar 2010
  Lardy0 23:15 07 Mar 2010

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! A lot of old Infocom and Magnetic Scrolls etc. games.
Thanks very much for the reply Proclaimer, should keep me going for a while.

If anybody else wants to play some older games and they are told they need to use DOSBox then read this tutorial click here , it makes setting it up a whole lot easier.

Proclaimer 10:24 08 Mar 2010

use DosBox Frontend Reloaded click here just drag and drop the game folder into D-Fend Reloaded and most times the game runs sometimes you need to use D-Fend Reloaded to run the installer.

Very nice tool

Hercule Marple 19:11 11 Mar 2010

Another option is to play Sinclair ZX Spectrum versions of the games via an emulator. I recommend Spectaculator, which is extremely easy to use, from this list....

click here

The archive of Spectrum text advenures contains more than 2000 games........

click here

There are also thousands more games available from the same site....

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?