Suitable graphics card for 5 year old desktop - new to pc gaming

Jackburns1985 19:12 27 Jan 2015
Answered

Hello

I am looking for advice on setting up desktop to play games. I have a desktop pc with windows xp installed. I currently do not have a graphics cards just integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200.

The information taken from a direct x diagnostic tool is that my specs are as follows:

My mother board is Gigabyte technology. The model is GA-MA785GMT-UD2H. There are 3 PCI-E 2.0 x 16 slots for the graphics card to go.

The processor is AMD Athlon II x2 250, MMX, 3D now, 2 ~3GHZ. And it has 2814MB RAM.

The power unit is ATI 12V 300W and has 2 spare 4 pin connectors.

I am looking for a budget graphics card possibly even second hand if it is value for money.

Obviously I do not expect high performance. However this is really for me to experiment and I guess if it was possible to run 5/6 year old AAA games at all that would be great. My hope is to gain understanding of Gaming on a PC before building my own more up to date pc over the coming year.

Any help at all with what kind of graphics card I can expect to work in this desktop would be great.

Thanks, Jack.

Mattozaa 21:54 14 Feb 2015

GTX 750 Ti from Nvidia is suitable. Doesn't need any power connectors and is fairly powerful. Obviously you will get cpu bottleneck but that is the way I would go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires